By: Rebecca Konopka
Carter County Extension Agent
Are you interested in learning more about your woodlands and what can be done to make them healthier and more productive? Perhaps you are interested in attracting wildlife or thinking about a timber harvest—regardless of your goals for your property, getting the right information and having the right contacts are critical to making those goals a reality.
The Kentucky Woodland Owners Short Course (WOSC) begins on July 19 and runs through August 13. The 2022 WOSC will feature a hybrid format with online sessions followed by a field tour. The 4-part evening online series takes place on July 19, 21, 26, and 28 and is followed by a field tour of Pennyrile State Forest on August 6 or Berea College Forest on August 13. If you are unable to participate live in the online programs, you will be able to view the recordings in advance of the field tours; we also have a registration option that includes the online sessions only. The 2022 WOSC is a great opportunity to learn more about your woodland and connect with organizations who can help you in caring for them. Register now by visiting https://wosc.ca.uky.edu/2022WOSC.
Educational programs of the Kentucky Cooperative Extension Service serve all people regardless of economic or social status and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnic origin, national origin, creed, religion, political belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, marital status, genetic information, age, veteran status, or physical or mental disability.
- The Grayson Farmer’s Market is open on Saturdays from 9:00 AM until sell out. The market is located in the shed behind the Extension Office. The Olive Hill Farmer’s Market will open on July 9th at 8:00 AM. The Olive Hill market is located in the Save-a-Lot parking lot. The Olive Hill market will be open on Saturdays and Wednesdays at 8:00 AM and Mondays at 3:00 PM until sell out each day.
- There will be a Kid’s Day at the Olive Hill Farmer’s Market on Wednesday, July 13th from 8:30-11:00. Youth ages 4-18 are invited to participate in a variety of activities and earn Kid’s Bucks to be spent at the market. Kid’s Bucks are sponsored by Anthem.
- Senior Double Dollar days will be on July 20th at the Olive Hill Farmer’s Market and July 23rd at the Grayson market. Seniors can bring their voucher card to the market and receive an additional $16 to be spent at the market.
- Extension District Board Meeting – July 12th @ 10:00 AM @ Carter County Extension Office
- Hike & Learn – July 15th @ 9:00 AM – Carter Caves State Resort Park – We’ll be hiking the Natural Bridge Trail and participating in the park’s Tomahawk Throwing activity. Youth who participate will receive Kid’s Bucks for the Farmer’s Market.
- Ag Advancement Council Meeting – July 18th @ 6:00 PM @ Carter County Extension Office