FLEMINGSBURG, Ky. –The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet reminds motorists to watch for continued lane closures, delays, and traffic changes in state highway work zones now through late October.
Traffic impacts from paving projects and major road construction can be expected at the following locations:BOYD COUNTY
- US 60 (Coalton to Cannonsburg): Road reconstruction continues along 4 miles of US 60 between I-64 at Coalton and the Cannonsburg KY 180 intersection, mile markers 0 to 4. Lane shifts, daily flagged traffic, narrow travel lanes, speed limit changes, blasting. Expect delays. Detours: Princeland Drive is closed, and detoured to Princess Drive. All KY 5 traffic is detoured to Princess Drive intersection. *NOTE: Signal work at the US 60 and KY 180 intersection could require intermittent lane closures.US 23 (Winchester Avenue) in Ashland, and US 23 South of Ashland: City road and utility work has US 23 reduced to one-lane each direction between 13th and 18th streets downtown (milepoints 1.5 to 1.2); and there will be intermittent lane closures and lane shifts from 39th to 43rd streets (milepoints 15.6 to 16.1) for water line repairs. Use caution, expect delays.
- Interstate 64 (MM 153-160): Resurfacing and repairs between the Smith Run overpass and the Tygarts Creek bridge, mile markers 153 to 160. Right lane closed, merge left approaching work zone. Yield at on ramps from KY 2 to I-64. Speed limit 55 mph. Watch for traffic shifts inside work zones.KY 2 (Olive Hill to Smokey Valley): Embankment work, repairs and paving mostly complete between US 60 and KY 1704 (mile markers 0 to 4). Intermittent lane closures possible. Barrier wall work on the KY 2 overpass at I-64 will continue through October with one-lane traffic controlled by temporary signals. Plan for delays.Coming soon to KY 1 (Carol Malone Boulevard): Repairs to bridge over Barrett’s Creek (milepoint 11.85) between CW Stevens Blvd and the AA Highway. One lane will be open each direction. Watch for merging traffic, delays.
- KY 158: Watch for paving work between Hillsboro and Ringo’s Mill. One-lane traffic controlled by flaggers. Expect delays.KY 559 (Wallingford Road): Watch for paving work east of downtown Flemingsburg. One-lane traffic controlled by flaggers. Expect delays.
- KY 7: Repairs to bridge over Tygarts Creek (milepoint 5.66) just north of Big White Oak Road. One-lane traffic controlled by temporary signals. Plan for delays.Coming Soon to US 23: Contractors will remove the old AK Steel overpass just north of Diederich Boulevard at Russell. Work dates, traffic changes, and detours will be announced.
- KY 59: Repairs to bridge over Kinniconick Creek (mile marker 13) between Straight Fork and Lower Kinney roads. One-lane traffic controlled by temporary signals. Plan for delays.KY 8: Watch for paving near Garrison with intermittent one-lane traffic controlled by flaggers.
- KY 324: Paving and other repairs possible with intermittent one-lane traffic controlled by flaggers.
- Interstate 64 (MM 141-148): Paving and repairs from the Morehead rest areas to the Carter County line. One-lane traffic each direction. Use caution, watch for merging traffic approaching work zone. Speed limit 55 mph.KY 377 (Triplett): Highway safety improvement project from KY 799 to the Rowan-Lewis county line. Slide repairs, culvert extensions, drainage and shoulder work, tree removal. Intermittent one-lane, flagged traffic. Use caution.KY 377 (Cranston Road): Utility relocations between KY 32 and Triplett. Watch for lane closures, flagged traffic; take it slow.
Motorists should also watch for lane closures and flagged traffic for daily maintenance activities such as paint striping, pothole patching, ditching, mowing, and other repairs in District 9’s service area of Bath, Boyd, Carter, Elliott, Fleming, Greenup, Lewis, Mason, Nicholas and Rowan counties.In addition to providing real-time traffic information online at GoKY.ky.gov or via Waze on your smartphone, the Kentucky Department of Highways District 9 updates road work on social media at Facebook.com/KYTCDistrict9 and at Twitter.com/KYTCDistrict9.Road work schedules are subject to change depending on weather conditions. Motorists are asked to heed all warning signs, slow down in work zones and remain aware of workers and construction equipment when traveling.WORK ZONE TIPS
- Slow down, buckle up, and expect the unexpected.Stay alert, and avoid distractions.Don’t tailgate. Keep a safe braking distance between you and the vehicle ahead, and between construction workers and equipment.Obey road crew flaggers, and pay attention to message boards and warning signs.Plan ahead: Visit ky.gov or use Waze to see where road work is taking place. Or visit your highway district’s social media accounts. Find your district at https://transportation.ky.gov/DistrictPages.