fbpx
54.1 F
Grayson
Sunday, October 2, 2022
spot_img
HomeFeaturesArt & EntertainmentCarter County Poetry Society holds annual contest

Carter County Poetry Society holds annual contest

By: Jeremy D. Wells
Carter County Times

The Carter County Poetry Society has released the categories and sponsors for their 2022 poetry contests, including entry fee and prize information. 

While some categories are based on certain poetic styles, others are based on topics, with any style of poem accepted as long as it fits the topic. 

Poets may compete in this year’s contest in up to 15 different categories.

These categories include special topics like, “In the background,” which can be a poem written in any style, as long as it used the phrase “in the background” somewhere in the poem, but not in the title. That category is sponsored by Angela Barker Thomas. 

Thomas is also sponsoring the category on “Privilege,” which can also be written in any style, on any topic pertaining to privilege, but without directly using that word in the poem or in its title. 

Other themes, most sponsored by Crystal Barker, include “Roses,” in honor of Roselinda Galam, RN; “Dedicated,” in honor of Sanaz Hashemi, MD; “Patch,” in honor of our farmers; “If I had wings,” in honor of Juanita Mays; “Going to work,” in honor of Mojgan Saber, MD; “Mother’s Hands,” in honor of Judy Barker; and “Eight Ball,” in hour of Clay Miller. All of those poems can be written in any style. 

Other open style categories include spiritual or inspirational poetry, sponsored by Janet Maddix; and the short poem, in any style, with a 50-word line limit, sponsored by Sandy Litteral.

The cinquain, a five-line poem, which usually features a nature theme and adheres to a strict two syllable, four syllable, six syllable, eight syllable, two syllable line structure, is sponsored by Neal Salyers. 

The other stylistic category, free verse, which can feature poems on any subject, is sponsored by Lori Zientara. 

There is also a poet’s choice category. Sponsored by Carol Mauriello, the poem in this category can be on any subject, or in any form. 

“If a poem doesn’t fit any other categories, enter it in this one,” club member Camila Haney wrote in a contest release.

Those poems all have a $2 entry fee, and winners in each of those categories will earn $10 for first place, $7 for second place, and $3 for third place.   

The biggest prize will be awarded in the Grand Prix competition. Poems entered into that category have a $6 entry fee, and can be written in any style and on any subject. The winner of that category will take home 60 percent of the entry fees for the category, with second place taking home the other 40 percent. 

All poems must be original work, and can’t have been previously published or won any award of more than $10. Only one poem may be submitted per category, and all work must be typewritten or in a printed digital format. 

Unless the competition category specifically states otherwise (cinquain, short poem, Grand Prix), all poems should be limited to no more than 32 written lines, not including the title.

Any poems that are not considered family friendly will be disqualified.  

Entries may be mailed, before midnight on September 2, to: Carter County Poetry Society, c/o Janet O. Maddix, 18166 W. US Hwy 60, Olive Hill, KY 411164. 

The contest category name must be written in the upper left corner of the entry, with no identifying information. On a separate cover page, authors should include their name, mailing address, e-mail and phone number in the upper right corner of the page. The body should list all poems entered by category, including the title and first line. 

For more information, you may contact Camila Haney, by email, at camilahaney50@gmail.com. 

Contact the writer at editor@cartercountytimes.com

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -spot_img
- Advertisment -spot_img
- Advertisment -spot_img
- Advertisment -spot_img
- Advertisment -spot_img
- Advertisment -spot_img
- Advertisment -spot_img
- Advertisment -spot_img
- Advertisment -spot_img
%d bloggers like this: